Start a new topic

Showing your house to potential Leasee

Prior to showing the rental property to someone, do you ask for a fax/scan or copy of their license? I'd like to know if this is a common practice. My concern is how safe is it to let a complete stranger into your home that you have never met for a showing.  

@ Marybeth: don't want to be a downer, but I believe the 9/11 hijackers had valid (false) driver's license which usually requires a birth certificate. One should be careful about assuming.
Thank you for the insight Bob. The screening company that I use (www.e-renter.com)  made a good point regarding getting a copy of a prospective tenant's state issued ID. When a person gets their ID or license, they have to have proof of birth, so getting a copy of the ID is a good way to confirm the applicants date of birth which can be necessary when screening for things like criminal records.
Thank you Bob!
There is no full proof method of determining what an individual is capable of. You can have them fill out an application and request a photo ID before showing. You can also ask them to show you 2 payroll statements to verify their employment/income. Just remember to treat everyone the same. Create a checklist of questions as a guide. When showing the property, have someone with you. Don’t forget your gut feeling. If it doesn’t feel right, think twice before accepting that person(s). -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment