Start a new topic

Shady applicant with undisclosed criminal background

We moved a couple months ago, and currently in the process of preparing the old house for rent and getting it to code for the first time. A couple approached my fiancé a couple weeks ago interested in renting the house. I prepared two applications and an Authorization for Background Screening form for them to fill out. We received back two incomplete and suspicious applications (no sig or dob listed, two different license plate #s for the same vehicle, out of state addresses that can't be validated, etc.), and no Authorization form. We spent a couple hours Googling the information they did provide. Of course, the things they told us verbally did not match the info we found online, and now we firmly believe that the male applicant is currently wanted locally for an Aggravated Assault charge, and further checking revealed he also has 7 additional arrests, the most significant for Armed Robbery and Breaking and Entering With Intent. I don't know what to do. I want to call the Police, but I'm afraid of repercussions. At this point, I'm afraid of repercussions if I turn them down--they hooked us up with the plumber we needed (via her dad) to get to code.  Any thoughts on how I should handle turning them down and staying safe?

Are you living in the house that you're fixing up for rental?
If they didn't sign the authorization, then first take it to them and tell them you need their signature to do the background check.  Once they see that you are serious about running a background check, they will probably tell you to never mind, that they found something else.  They are hoping they fill out an application and you don't care enough to check.
The house is currently vacant. I called the City for inspection before I had anyone move in, so that bought us a couple weeks, at least. Tomorrow the plumbing work will commence. I am hoping that when we require photo IDs, 2 months pay stubs and the Application and Authorization form signed for the credit check they will look elsewhere, too. Since my original post, I found history of 4 civil cases for non payment of rent--as recent as March 2012. I was happy to find that, so I don't have to address the criminal issues. I made it very clear to them both that they had to be checked out to confirm they can pay rent.   Does anyone know if I am violating any civil rights by contacting the Police regarding the outstanding warrant? I don't have his signature on the application. Don't know that I want to open that door, but would like to know where I stand legally. Thank you!
It appears that your main concern is safety. One possible way is to tell them after evaluating the repairs, it may take longer that anticipated and there’s a possibility that you may move into the property while doing the repairs. This means that you will have to take the property off the market for 1 – 2 months. As a side note, this time of year is difficult to find renters, given nobody likes to move during the holidays. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
Make sure that the house is secure (e.g. locks) and tell them that their application seems incomplete.  If they don't want to sign, they may take it back and tell you they will get the information then never turn it back in.  Typically if people get turned down, they know why it is.
Cherie...This is simple. When the applicants call to see about their applications you may say that you have not tried to process them because they were incomplete, offer to return them and get off the phone before you have to here their life story. If the applications are returned, you may say again...the applications are not complete and ask if there is any more information they would like to add to their criminal history. Eventually they will get the message.
Login to post a comment