Start a new topic

New Tenant does not have SSN

Tenant has a ITIN number and says can get a credit report in 15 days with ITIN number. They have no social security number. Any suggestions

I have a hard time believing a US citizen does not have a SSN.  The ITIN is an "Individual Taxpayer Identification Number" that is assigned to a business for tax reporting purposes (my husband used to be a self employed contractor, for which he has a ITIN) and I used to certified tax preparer, preparing tax returns for H&R Block as a second job.  A parent must have a SSN for a newborn in order to claim the dependent deduction.  I would be highly suspicious of any applicant that claims to not have a SSN.
Certainly, you should know the previous history of tenant. I never compromised in this matter, I opt property management services from Hunter Rentals & Property Management. They screen the tenant before renting out my apartment.
An applicant without propter identification will not make a great tenant. Eventually this applicant, if accepted, will leave damages and lost rent behind with no trail to follow.
To my knowledge, an ITIN number is used for federal tax reporting only, so I am unsure how the prospective tenant would obtain a credit report. However, it doesnt mean they wouldn't make a great tenant.
Login to post a comment