Start a new topic

Fire Safety Inspection

I purchased multi family house and learning the in & outs of being a landlord.  I am in a dilema with the fire safety department.  They recently performed a fire inspection (tenant allowed them access) and cited me numerous violation against the fire code of CT.  The cost to remediate the issues will cost  thousands.  They require fire rate doors on all units, at $400 - 500 just for the door, and have 20 doors to replace.  These houses have been standing since 1900, can they demand these changes?  Is there a grandfathering clause or I have to suck it up and go bankrupt?   The other items are firewall partitions between the boiler and washing machines.  My alternative is to install a fire alarm system in each house, this would require annual inspection.  Also in the thousands.

If you recently purchased the property, was an inspection done or did you buy “as is?” Normally, deficiencies are noted after an inspection and are negotiated before contract is finalized.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Hi Bob, thanks the time and energy.  At the time of purchase, the normal house inspections were performed and found  no issues.  The town put in place, over a year ago, a program to inspect 3 family house and commercial entities for adherence to fire safety code.  (They first charged us for a mandatory inspection fee)  This fire safety inspection found the non-fired rated doors as an issue, along with few other items.  State/Local codes are good, but it creates a hugh undue burden upon existing properties.  I can understand during renovations.  to be compliant, the alternative is to install a fire alarm system in each property.  That solution is probably also upwards of thousands of dollars, and then paying for annual inspections of the alarms  systems.
Eric….I would say that if you purchased the house after the law was implemented, you should have been notified by your RE Agent. Also, If (s)he knew about the new law being implemented in the near future, you should have been notified……Check on the dates compared to when you purchased the property. You may have some legal rights here…..On another note, this is why I prefer property no larger than duplexes. Duplexes and condos and single family home are easier to sell compared to multi units. .  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Dear Eric C.  I  just came across this forum today (03/15/2016).   I am very much interested in hearing from you regarding your fire inspection outcome.  Please reply asap.  Thank you.  MS  (Connecticut)
Login to post a comment