Start a new topic

Pet deposit

Are there Iowa state guidelines governing how much can be charged for pet deposit and if you can charge an additional monthly fee.  What are the usual rates for this?

In most states, pet deposits are treated the same as a security deposit. You can view a summary of Iowa's landlord-tenant laws on this site though.  As for an additional fee, just tell the tenants that if they are going to have pets, the rent increases by X dollars.
The PET DEPOSIT MAY BE: non-refundable  in addition to your security deposit which is limited by state law.  unrealistic  permitted by state law  may not be charged if you have a service animal (certified for your disability). Exemptions exist.  any amount agreed to by you and your landlord  non-discriminatory  based on size of pet  based on number of pets  based on type of pet  charged to people who think their pet is the best
I beleive charging for pets is pure greed.  Pets can caused damage but that is why you have a secuity deposit.  You don't charge for each child!  Children are detructive. Just charge a decent security deposit.  Rent for pets... who thought of that. It is discrimination.  Do you charge for smokers? Do you charge for people who use alot of curry? I will never charge my tenants nor will I every lease a place that does.  INSANE.  
Pets leave hair, dander, saliva, and fecal deposits behind that may not be completely cleaned up by their owners, not to mention the extra wear & tear  such as caused by running pets digging their nails on wood floors and any number of kinds of damage that pets owners run into. Some people will not rent unless it's been a pet free environment, just like most people prefer a smoke free environment. To say it's pure greed is avoiding the issues.  
I didn't charge a pet deposit and low and behold I had to replace subfloors and ALL the carpet in the entire apartment due to dog piss and cat piss... not to metion my apartment was infested with fleas. There is a big differance between a responsible pet owner who has vet records and takes care of their pets. To those who do not take their pets to the vet they ar  flea infested. I feel if pet owners don't want to pay a pet deposit - Buy your OWN house and let your animals destroy your house!!
If you don’t charge a pet deposit, you’re (1) a renter with 1 or more pets and had /have a hard time finding a place, (2) you’re a 1st time landlord and never rented to anyone with pets and (3) possible never inspected the rental since renting to someone with pets. As to “rents to pets” – hotels. Smoker? Moot point! CA law state Landlords are not required to rent to smokers. Insane? No, experienced Landlord.
Diane, all deposits, including dog deposits, in CA ARE refundable. There is no such thing as non-refundable deposits in CA.
(California, Hawaii and Montana) prohibit nonrefundable fees altogether.
Yes if there is no damage caused by the pets.
no if you do a non refundable deposit for pets ..
Its your choice. I made mine non-refundable
Check your State law. Not all States treat deposits the same. Example: In CA, ALL deposits are refundable. However, there is a way to work around the law. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
It may be allowed by law but not sure the market will allow it.  If I am understanding your post correctly you would require upto four months rent in the form of the 1st months rent and security deposits for a tenant with pets to move into your property.  That is a bit excessive.  You would be better off just saying pets not allowed.
It would be 3 months rent. 2 months rent for the security deposit and the first months rent to move in. They get it all back when they move out if there is no damage from the pet. Whatever we don't need to use if there is damage gets returned to the tenant. I think I will make some calls to see what other landlords are charging in this area.
Login to post a comment