Start a new topic

uh oh - tenants security deposit check bounced

our new tenants wrote a check form a closed account for thier security deposit.  They called to tell us there was going to be  problem with it clearing 1 day after we deposied it  - Is thier lease valid...?  what can I do?  maybe a legitimate accident - but the account was CLOSED....  we are in NH

If you both signed the lease, yes it's valid. Send a Notice to Pay or Quit and follow with an eviction if necessary.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
ya, I got that - doesn't answer my question though...
You just learned a valuable lesson. NEVER accept a check for sec.dpst and 1st months’ rent and before handing over the keys. Only accept cash, money order or certified bank check.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment