Start a new topic

tenants ask for painting during the lease

My tenant has stayed in my property for 4 years now and she asked me to repaint the house saying there is a law in Maryland that every two years a tenant could request for repainting. Any one know about this issue?  Ling from Gaithersburg Md

Sounds like the tenant is pulling your chain.
I would do an inspection of the property and determine if painting is necessary. If it looks good, check to see what the law says. If you find that the place needs painting due to abuse, tell the tenant you will have the place painted at tenant’s cost and that she will have to arrange at tenant’s cost the moving of furniture, items on walls, etc. Also state that payment (no personal check or when check has cleared – 2 wks?) must be rec’d before painting starts and someone 18 yrs or older must be present when painters are working. Make sure agreement is in writing (cost, approx start date, etc), to include tenant’s signature and date. Keep us updated. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Unfortunately, it is impossible to give comprehensive real estate/tax advice over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. Therefore, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local Tax Laws. Also, if you have real questions, you should consult with an attorney or tax professional……Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data. Check out the new $$$$ for 2012
There is not law in any state that requires a landlord to paint at the tenant's request. Ask your tenant for a link to the state law. That should put an end to it. By the way, how long has it been since you last painted?
Login to post a comment