Start a new topic

Breaking a year's lease...

Hello,  I have a tenant who has only been in my townhouse for 4 months on March 1. She text me and  said she needed to break the lease. She moved in with a boyfriend. .  I think he has stopped helping and they no longer want to be together under the same roof.  She was the primary lease holder and her mother was the co-signer. I put the lease in her name and listed the mother as co-signer. However, I did not consider him as one of the primary lease holders, just someone living there. I did not run his credit or background report. He also makes very little money. I believe if he would leave she would stay and finish out the rental agreement.   How do I handle this situation?  I live in Virginia Beach, VA.    Thank you for any and all help in this matter!

Thank you for your advice again, Bea!  This is what I told the tenant. And check our laws in Virginia and this is acceptable for the Landlord to do.   Thanks again! Have a great week!  JoAnne
All states vary but the tenant is held to the rental payments until the term ends or the landlord finds a tenant, whichever comes first. The landlord is required to search for a tenant right away as to not drain the tenants money. I would definitely look up your state website for a definite answer.
Login to post a comment