Start a new topic

Month to month

My tenant has been refusing to sign the new lease for the past two weeks I have given her notice to vacate premises and she states she has until December 31 to vacate. I was under the impression it was 30 days to vacate on a month to  month lease.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Depends. If there is a signed lease that states Month to Month up to a particular date, then yes. But, legally speaking, month to month is automatically assumed if no lease exists. So, if the lease expires at the end of this month and both the tenant and the landlord wish to continue the agreement, a new lease is not required.
You would prorate the amount owed based on rental days.
Tenants who do not have leases and pay rent on a monthly basis are called “month-to-month” tenants. In localities without rent regulation, tenants who stay past the end of a lease are treated as month-to-month tenants if the landlord accepts their rent. Real Property Law § 232-c. A month-to-month tenancy outside New York City may be terminated by either party by giving at least one month’s notice before the expiration of the tenancy. For example, if the landlord wants the tenant to move out by November 1 and the rent is due on the first of each month, the landlord must give notice by September 30. In New York City, 30 days’ notice is required, rather than one month. The termination notice need not specify why the landlord seeks possession of the apartment, only that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that refusal to vacate will lead to eviction proceedings. Such notice does not automatically allow the landlord to evict the tenant. A landlord may raise the rent of a month-to-month tenant with the consent of the tenant. If the tenant does not consent, however, the landlord can terminate the tenancy by giving appropriate notice. Real Property Law § 232-a and § 232-b.
Login to post a comment