Start a new topic

Unauthorized occupant

Can a tenant have an unauthorized occupant in the apartment without the landlords approval

You can send and post a notice. You would also want this to be seen by your actual tenant and the notice should be a cure or quit. They need to remove that other person or they themselves will be evicted. As for the extra person they are a trespasser and if you can prove they are claiming residence like mail addressed to them you can call the local police as someone is trespassing on your property.
Do you have any clauses in your leases about "guests"?  Typically if someone else is going to inhabit the unit, you'd want to get an application from them and screen them. Then you can either accept or deny them.  Also do you  have a "no subletting" clause in your lease? Then the person cannot claim that they are subletting.  What Justin said above is not correct -- if they are your tenants' guest then they are NOT trespassing.  If you call the police you will look like an idiot.
Most contracts allow tenant to have guest staying for X days per year. If you learn that someone is staying in the unit beyond the terms of the contract, send them a Notice telling them that they’re in violation of the contract. Check with state law as to how much time they have to correct the violation. You should be able to find a Notice Form on this web site. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Login to post a comment