Start a new topic

Wires re-wried by teneant

We had our renters move out and noticed the light fixture in the Garage was damaged. When the electrician came out to fix this he noticed that the light switch had been re-wired to bypass the switch and go directly to the broken light fixture. I know that the switch was working prior to the moving in but really have no proof that it was. They never turned in a Move-in sheet when they moved in. Is this something that I can take out of their deposit? By the way this is in Colorado not sure if that makes a difference or not.

@Dawn – My comment was because you didn’t address the question “Is this something that I can take out of their deposit?” If your intent was not to answer the question but offer a suggestion, that would have been fine (in my humble opinion). I feel your last comment offered more clarity to your intent.  :-)
Just trying to warn people of possible negative actions on tenants parts.  You have to be careful with some tenants.  High electric bills, high water bills, electric re-wired (especially in the basement or a garage) are all signs of potential grow operations.  It's important for landlords to understand these signs.  Not necessarily that they're going on, but just to be cautious.
Thanks so much they are already out and we are in the clean up process when we noticed it.   @Dawn, I don't think this was the case, but thanks for your input
@Brenda – Have the electrician make note on the receipt what his findings were and possible harm it may have caused… Deduct the cost of repair from sec.dpst…..Note: .if a tenant doesn’t return the initial inspection sheet (you should specify a date), send them a Notice to correct the lease violation and start an eviction if they don’t correct the violation. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Unfortunately, it is impossible to give comprehensive real estate/tax advice over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. Therefore, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local Tax Laws. Also, if you have real questions, you should consult with an attorney or tax professional……Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data. Check out the new $$$$ for 2013
@Dawn – are you a physiologist or studying to be one? It seems like you’re always trying to 2nd guess the tenant vs answering the question.
Sometimes when things are re-wired its because they're supporting a grow operation.
Login to post a comment