Start a new topic

Tenents Complaining of Mold what do I do?

I am a first time landlord. My tenants have been there only 3 months have failed to pay sec dep, late on rent, and now are complaining that mold on the window sills is making them all sick.  I did verify and we do have a mold issue. It's forming on the wood windows.  I lived there 10 years and never had this.  They have 4 adults living a relativly small home, so I told air/circulations & ventaliation is an issue and could be the sudden cause. But is that my responsiblity. What can I do....  PLease advise.

Hello--Is there anything in the lease that provides for mold mitigation? If not, you may have to provide some basic treatment, but then come up with an agreement that would have them assist in the process--make sure it properly ventilated, etc.  Could you check with your local housing code enforcement office for more information?
Mold is a touchy issue lately. It seems to me that to avoid further trouble down the road, it would be easier to rectify the situation. I had a mold problem in a bathroom and found out that the exhaust fan was not adequately vented. I paid a few hundred dollars and cleaned up the mold and there has been no problem since. There is an excellent information document on this site regarding mold. The EPA sites also contains excellent info. Good Luck
Thank you for your replies.  I found the duct/vent for the dryer had came out which was causing the moisture. Would that be something I would be responsible for or the renters. Or is that something we both would have to work out.  The mold was caused by an error on their part to notice that, but also my part in a way.  But the damage is huge! All windows may now need to be replaced.  Not sure what to do...insurance will not pay.
It all depends on the Lease. I use the ez Lease on this site and it protects the Landlord against damages caused by the tenant as a result of negligence. If you have such a Lease, then the tenants would be somewhat responsible if they were negligible.
I have a tenant who really wants out of her lease and has  been a serial complainer.  Just recently, she complained that tiles fell off of wall on downstairs bath wall.  Tile 4  years old.  Called tile contractor who came by next day (I live 8 hours away).  He said drywall was used and tile didn't properly adhere.  He said wall was dry, no leaks and he will match tile and fix area of wall.  I communicated this to tenant.  Just rec'd email from tenant saying that she has a piece of sheet rock with mold on it.   I called contractor and he said its dry.  I think she is going to make a mold issue out of this, since she has been trying very hard to find an 'out' to her lease.  Any suggestions?
I have a tenant who really wants out of her lease and has  been a serial complainer.  Just recently, she complained that tiles fell off of wall on downstairs bath wall.  Tile 4  years old.  Called tile contractor who came by next day (I live 8 hours away).  He said drywall was used and tile didn't properly adhere.  He said wall was dry, no leaks and he will match tile and fix area of wall.  I communicated this to tenant.  Just rec'd email from tenant saying that she has a piece of sheet rock with mold on it.   I called contractor and he said its dry.  I think she is going to make a mold issue out of this, since she has been trying very hard to find an 'out' to her lease.  Any suggestions?
Login to post a comment