Start a new topic

In California, can you specify wanting to rent to Christian Family?

The property is owned by a non-profit christian ministry and we want to advertise the rental property as a home for a christian family.  Can we do this in California?

Not to my knowledge, although I'm not an attorney. In most states (and I believe there are federal standards on this), using religion in the decision-making process is considered discrimination. Even if you find a legal loophole, I still wouldn't advertise that you want a Christian tenant, because it may invite a lawsuit anyway.
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability). It is a good idea to become VERY familiar with the Fair Housing Act: http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/
Login to post a comment