Start a new topic

Carpet cleaning

We are moving out of our apartment. We do not have a lease. My question is do we have to pay for carpet cleaning? Two things are making me not want to. 1st is that when we moved in nothing in the apartment was cleaned. Not even vacuumed. She let us move in a week early. 2nd is that the new tenants girlfriend just bought a carpet cleaner so they used that. They also started carpet cleaning on the 29th so they didn't exactly give us time to do it ourselves. Any answers would be appreciated.

Hi Whitney M.  You seem to know a lot.  May I ask where you have found this info?  I want to see what it says about the cleanliness of the apartment.  I have tenanats that were young and left the place pretty filthy but is trying to tell me he cleaned it out. I am in NJ as well.  Thanks.  Sally  sally.dimaggio@fmr.com
Did you fill out a condition report? Did you note on that report that the carpeting was not clean? Generally the rule of thumb is that you are to leave the apartment or rental as you got it or better.
Yes
But it states that the landlord will pick the cleaning company at the tenants expense.  The tenant does not get to pick
Is this contained in the Lease? If not and all that it specifies is that the tenant is to have the carpet cleaned; then I would think not. If, however, you specify in the contract that : Tenant must hire a reputable company to clean the carpeting upon moev-out; then I would think you have a leg to stand on.
I made my security deposit the same amount as the rent, which is $1,200.  When I described like this in my lease, it's worded as followed: $950 security deposit, and a $300 non-refundable cleaning fee.  It equals $1,200, but the $300 will cover the carpet & cleaning of the property.  It's part of the security deposit, but that portion is non-refundable. That also eliminates the bickering at the end of the lease term, as to what I can't or can't give them back.
In our state (NJ) you can't deduct shampooing the carpet unless there is damage to the carpet IE stains or anything above now wear and tear. But you can charge a cleaning fee to vacuum etc. If you have to replace the carpet then you can only take out for the what the "remaining life" of the carpet would be.  What I have researched is that carpet should last 7-10 years so if the carpet is five years and your new carpet installed is $1000 then you can deduct $500 from the deposit to recover you loss.
Mention the stains and tell them that if the stains can not be removed, you may have to have the carpets replace and charge them a pro-rated cost. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Yes, definitely.
Login to post a comment