Start a new topic

Section 8

I have prospective tenants that want to sign a separate agreement outside of their Section 8 agreement to pay the remaining amount of the rent that I'm asking. In other words, Section 8 only covers X and they want a separate agreement for the remaining $450. Has anyone ever dealt with that in MA? Am I being overly suspicious or is something fishy about this?

I'm about to start a new sect 8 lease and getting real nervous about the whole thing. I have an existing tenant who got qualified for S8. She is driving me crazy already.
Ask yourself if you can afford $20k in legal fees.  Because if this tenant doesn't work out, that's what you can expect to spend.
If the tenant(s) have nothing to lose, it's not worth it. I have a Section 8 tenant now, who appears to have a mental illness. I am not sure it's been diagnosed or not, AND I DARE NOT INQUIRE.  Though I have the building exterminated monthly, and she often refuses. Two months ago, she said that she saw a mouse, so she cemented, YES CEMENTED ALL THE BOTTOM kitchen cabinets closed. I called Section 8 to evict.  Section 8 asked me if she was paying her portion of the rent, I told them she was paying.  They then said that they would be on the court petition as co-defendants with the defendant , because she was paying her rent. IT DID  NOT MATTER TO SECTION 8 THE DAMAGE THE TENANT DID TO THE CABINETS.   The apartment was in perfect condition when she moved in. I have pictures and video to prove it.  It is now a wreck.  The cabinets alone will cost, at a minimum, $5000 (low ball) to replace. The tenant's caseworker will not speak with me, because I am JUST the landlord. Section 8 said I selected the tenant, so it is my problem. The security deposit social services provided (not section 8) by no means will cover the damage done.   The mistake I made was going through a broker.  The brokers just want the finder's fee. I usually select the tenant myself, but I for this tenant I had a lot going on. I have a full-time job.  During that time, I didn't have the time to show the apartment, so I used a broker.  This broker "professed" to be very knowledgeable about Section 8.  It turns out, she didn't know much. She suddenly got sick, and I couldn't contact her, but when the tenant finally moved in, she made contact with the tenant to have  another broker bring her finder's fee check to her home.    I suggest you thoroughly screen them, call their previous landlord,  and  send someone out to where they used to live. I am not sure how involved the case mangers are in your state, but they want nothing to do with the landlords in NYC. New York State; more so NYC is so pro-tenant. The courts think we are all slumlords, when many of us are hardworking middle-class workers, with small investment properties.  It's so hard to be a small landlord in New York City.  Good luck!
As a new LL, I opted to rent to a Section 8 without reading the S.8 contract closely. I assumed my own private lease agreement with the tenant was still intact but the S.8 contract has a clause which gives the S.8. contract primacy in case of conflict.  So, my lease which stated the tenant was responsible for the elect.bill was trumped by S.8's which said the LL was.  As a result, the tenant is now abusing and running up the elect. bill even more after I informed him I wouldn't be renewing the lease.
Well about to start my first one and hope that this person will work out. I tried a person who not on Section * and they worn up thnigs too. So I guess any renter you get is a risk at best. I don't have my own lease agreement and will inspect my house on a regularly bases so hopefully I will stay on top it. I want allow myself to get caught in the sad stories. mtn
Some states will not allow you to turn down those candidates. I would look up your area's laws
I used sec. 8 three months before the lease ends section 8 send me a notice for rent increase that I have to send in to them at lease 60 days. I have no problem getting the increase
When you do Section 8 (I have ten Sect. 8 units in Chicago) Section 8 runs the show, I just collect the rent on the 1st like clockwork and deal with an inspection every six months. If I ever have an issue with a tenant (noise, damage, tenant vs tenant issues, etc) I just call the Housing Dept and the issue is solved without me lifting a finger. But, in exchange for those bonuses, I have to work with them on their own agenda (government). It takes them 90 days, it's going to take 90 days.
I'm not sure why Section 8 renters are being bashed. If LL would do proper screening, have a signed agreement, and collect  rent/deposits before turning over the keys, a lot of problem would be eliminated. Instead, some LL are influenced by promises and having a renter NOW! You're better off keeping the property vacant a little longer vs rushing to fill a vacancy. That's economically better than having to evict a tenant who has not payed rent for several months, not to mention expenses to have them removed and your time.
I have a section 8 tenant who is 5 months behind on her portion of the rent. I can’t evict her because it’s winter time.  Does anyone have any suggestions of advice?
Ok. I got a letter in the mail today telling me it's 90 days. Thank you for responding. Hopefully all goes well.
Bad news if sec 8 covers a utility it is deducted from check  You lose either way As far as trashing a place the tenant doesnt need to be sec 8 to trash it I had one that caused 5000$ in damage and she was not a sec 8  Its a matter of checking with LL that is not the one she is renting from when she looking for new place go further back in history as that LL has nothing to lose.
Section 8 will require an inspection on the property. They have very specific requirements about what is allowable under their guidelines. Get the inspection BEFORE you sign a lease with a prospective tenant. That way you know what Section 8 may require you to fix/alter/replace, etc beforehand. It could become very costly to place a Section 8 tenant based on what the agency whats done to the property. I've had Section 8 tenants. It is nice knowing that you are GUARANTEED to receive your rent from the agency but the tenants themselves can be a bit more work. Stay on them and make sure they are maintaining the property.
Don't do it. If it boils down to going to court, it's illegal and I'm sure your this prospect knows that. They just want to get into the unit. I'm also sure they won't pay you or they'll give you a hard time about it.
Thanks for the info. I actually called this tenants case worker and asked if it was okay and they told me it was fraud! I hope it doesn't get them in trouble as that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to know if what I was thinking of agreeing to was legal.
Login to post a comment