Start a new topic

Multiple rental/credit applications.

I have gotten multiple rental/credit applications.  I charge a $30 application fee.  Do I just run the credit checks on the applicants I choose to and refund $30 to other applicants?  Or, do I run a credit check on all applicants and then choose a renter.  I don't want to get sued!

I've received multiple rental/credit applications.  I charge a $ 30.00 application fee.  do I just run the credit checks on the applicants I choos to and refund the $ 30.00 to the other applicats or do I run a credits check on all the applicates and then choose a renter?  Should I notify the other applicates that someone else has been selected.  Do I have to provide them with a reason?
I have the same question.  They must not know the answer if this has not been answered since 2009
Run the credit check on the most qualified applicant and if everything is okay, then take that applicant and refund the other applicant's fees.
1st, create a list of items (income, debt, etc) that you require before accepting an individual as a tenant. Write the date/time you received the application. Review each application by date/time to see if they meet your qualification. If an applicant is acceptable, run a credit check. If applicant fails, inform them why they were not accepted and if they ask, give them a copy of their credit check. If applicant passes, collect a deposit “immediately” to make sure they don’t change their mind and you loose a months’ rent. If no deposit is received in a couple of days, deny their application for no deposit and continue reviewing the other applications. After receiving the deposit, return the remaining $$$ collected for credit checks. Make sure your application or some type of form states what happens if a deposit is not received in X # of days and that they sign/date if a form is used.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Dawn, how would I know if the applicant was qualified until I run the credig/background check?
I had 12 people all wanting to fill out applications.  I should be receiving them today and tomorrow.  I would like to use the credit/background check as part of the decision factor.  Can I run a check on all 12 and then pick one? Or do I have to take them one at a time? I kept a list of when people contacted me about their interest in the property. If I have to go in order one by one can I use that list or does it have to be when I actually receive the application.?
Login to post a comment