Start a new topic

Termination of lease agreement (month-to-month)

I have a tenant that is currently month to month. Can I terminate his lease? or submit him a non-renewal of the month to month in DC.

You have to check with  rental laws in your state but a month to month can be terminated by either party , a lease usually runs a year to a year. In Massachusetts its called termination with out cause.
we previously had a year lease (3 years ago) it has been month to month for some time.
To learn about D.C. rental laws, contact the District of Columbia Housing Code (DCHC) which is enforced by the D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs' Housing Regulation Administration (HRA). The HRA publishes the "Tenant's Guide to Safe and Decent Housing," a 30-page booklet summarizing the D.C. housing code and its partner, the Rental Housing Act of 1985, which is the city law covering rent-controlled apartments. To obtain a copy, visit the Housing Regulation Services Center in Room 700 at 614 H Street, N.W., Washington, D.C., 20001, telephone  (202) 727-7395, or send the office a self-addressed, stamped envelope to receive the guide by mail.
Kyna, I'm going through the same situation. How did it work for you? Please, let me know.  I read a lot about DC code 42-3505.01 . I'm super confused. I signed a yearly lease 2013-2014 with my current tenants. Then, we renewed for another year, which expired in August 28, 2015. Since then, we never renewed our lease.   Questions: 1) Should I assume we're in a month to month lease?  If so, can I just send these ladies a non-renewal notice to finally terminate the lease? I would give them 60 days notice if necessary. 2) If we aren't in a month to month rent, can I just sent them a non-renewal notice to terminate the lease as of August 28, 2016 ??  3) Would a non-renewal notice be enough or a have to have a legal reason to ask them to leave my property as the lease is expired?  We don't get along very well and I don't want to wait until things get worse...  Please, advise. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Login to post a comment