Start a new topic

question about unauthorized tenant

I have reason to believe that my tenant's boyfriend is living in the property.  The boyfriend did not sign the lease.  I feel that having an unauthorized tenant in the property is a liability for me.  Does anyone know what to do about this situation or how to approach it with the tenant?  Please help.

Thanks for the insight and advice, Tammie.
So I gave my tenant that his unauthorized tenants had to leave the premises. I gave him the letter July 22nd and he was under the impression that he had 30 days for them to leave. In addition they owe 100 from July and owes August rent. I am not sure what to do.
I found a clause in Conn that they are called a nuisance and you have to geive them a 15 letter to cure the problem. Then you can threaten eviction, or he has to sign a lease. I WOULD NOT TRUST THEM. Try to get them out by offering to break the lease. My tenant had her drug addict daqughter move in, and say its only temporary. The lease wqas specific as to one occupant. A guest is defined in CT as 5 days or less.  I am evicting her as we speak, but I also served the daughter as Jane Doe. No prblems, going along well
Any Landlord who had to rent his/her apartment several times knows how arduous and time consuming the rental process can be, and no Landlord wants to lose a ton of rent money from a vacant apartment either. That's why many Landlords put up with all kinds of Tenant lease violations for just as long as the offending Tenant pays the rent reasonablly on time. Tenants who let a relative or friend move in to their apartment often do so because of economic necessity or helping a son or daughter out of a bind, snd they'll do so if it's in the Tenant's best interests. and if the Landlord lets them get away with it. A well written lease has a clause prohibiting any guest from staying longer in the rental apartment than, say, 7 days without express permission of the Landlord.  Sometimes, Landlords have to read the riot act to their Tenants, e.g., notifying the Tenant that he/she is violating a clause in the lease which won't be tolerated, and act decisively if the violation continues.
Ever since 9/11 - the law states that ANYONE over the age of 18 MUST sign a lease and some township/localities require you to notify who is living in your rental with the social security number, etc for tax purposes, etc.  So... if this person is age 18 or over - then you MUST have them sign a lease.  This person either signs or goes - take it to the local magistrates office and it will be fast and easy to have them BOTH evicted for failure to comply with Homeland Security Law these days.  Your lease should state something about ALL tenants MUST sign the lease, which does not mean that each person is only responsible to 50% - the law does not care who pays the rent such as in the case of the husband working and the wife at home with the kids - it merely is a formality for where everyone is living now a days - so everyone can be accounted for, IRS, Homeland Security, Police, etc - EVERYONE wants to know where everyone lives for OUR safety and for your liability reasons also.
Login to post a comment