Start a new topic

NEW AT BECOMING A LANDLORD

I just put my home up for rent.   It hasnt even been 24 hrs and i have had over 25 calls and several emails from craigslist. People are trying to pressure me into renting my house to them. I am trying to be fair and cautious. How do i tell them to back off until i finish interviewing potential tenants. I still need to move out some of my old stuff and i wanted to replace some of the blinds and replace a toilet that works but i want to put in a new one.

Thank you all for the advice.  It has really helped and I have read up as much as I can find.  And you have helped make me more cautious and not just be a sitting duck. thanks again...so very greatful to you for taking the time to help.
Veronica, another good tip might be to consider doing a month-to-month rental agreement instead of a 6 month or 1 year lease.  I believe it's easier to get a bad tenant out on a month to month situation.  Month to month seems to be a good option for both tenant and landlord because either party can terminate the agreement with a 30-day notice.
Veronica, as a new landlord myself, one of the best things I did was purchase a copy of a book called "Every Landlord's Legal Guide".  It is a very helpful book to have on hand.
I'M A NEW LANDLORD, I AM RENTING TO THE PROSPECTIVE BUYER WHO IS TRYING TO GET A VA LOAN.  OUR HOME IS VERY OLD AND I HAVE EXPRESSED IN THE LEASE AGREEMENT THAT I AM UNAWARE OF ANY MOLD, ASBESTOS, LEAD BASED PAINT, OR ANYTHING THAT I DO NOT KNOW.  THE TENNANTS HAVE AGREED TO DO ALL WORK AND IMPROVEMENTS WITHOUT COST TO ME TO HELP THEM GET THE FINANCING IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?  NEED LOTS OF HELP IF ANYONE CAN, IN OHIO.  THANKS A BUNCH.
Tell them to fill out a application , do not forget credit checks,  what about your lease, what about animals , what about who pays what , how about  liability insurance. There are people who are being evicted and are hoping you rent to them, and then you will be the next Victim!, it is not easy , credit check and application will weed some of the bad ones out. Go to the library and get Landlords rights, read up , Judges lean towards the tenant.
I've been a landlord for nearly 30 years.  Leave your personal feelings at home, this is a business.  Treat is as such.   When people call do not give out information freely.  Let them ask the question by saying  "What would you like to know" beyond the info in the ad.  Then ask: is it directly for them, any pets and how many occupants.  Base occupancy on number of bedrooms, couple plus opposite sex children.  Set up a viewing and give them an application form, do a credit and income verification.  Ask them to bring as much info with them to expedite the process.  Have them call when they are near the apartment to avoid the no shows.  90% won't complete the application form or provide income verification.   That leaves you with a population of 10% you have to use your gut feeling & luck.
Make sure you have smoke detectors, and your house meets all building codes, your security deposit will pay for damages, take pictures of your house inside and out and do a walk thru with the new tenant and a checklist and do not give the key to a prospective tenant, that gives them possession and it takes a court order from a judge to get your rental back.
Login to post a comment