Start a new topic

allowing dogs

Is it acceptable to allow dogs in one half of a duplex and not the other?  I've heard different things one being that if allow one half to have pets I legally have to let the other.

Any ideas on how to deal with a tenant that has a pet that becomes aggressive, to the point that the tenant puts a note on the door warning people about an aggressive dog?
Dogs are not "protected" in NJ, (no discrimination) but I would check your state laws.
Caution on additional deposit depending on your state - here in NJ 1.5 times rent is max. We charge "additional rent" of $25 per month, per pet.
I now have infestation of fleas and roaches from previous tenants. New tenants planned on moving in this week since last tenants just left Sunday. How much do you generally charge for dog deposit?
What's the most affordable way to get rid of the bug problems ?
I love dogs myself, but not all renters are ready for the responsibility of dog ownership. Might I add children have done more destruction & wear on my properties than any animal. I charge a minimum $300 per dog, must meet the dog prior to agreeing it can be on my property, all animals must be spayed/neutered, licensed, & all vaccinations current. All neighbors of my properties have met me, have my contact info & when a new Tenant is approved, I make the rounds again. This assures them & me that I will know the moment a situation occurs. I drive my properties weekly & at different times of the day (mornings to evenings) to be sure lawns are being kept up, notice new cars, see unauthorized pets, etc. If I stop by & I'm not invited to step in, the flags are raised. Sometimes I stop in just because rent has been on time, in full, no repair calls, etc., so I want to say thank you & make sure they don't need anything. Tenants left to their own device in some cases causes bad behavior. In 30 years, I've only had to get one person out that I leased to. He left without having to involve the court system. Communication is key & the professional forms of EzLandlord says volumes.
Also, insurance companies are now denying coverage for certain breeds that you may allow. Only 3 of my properties have carpet as I'm not a fan of it. That $300 non-refundable pet fee pays for steam cleaning the non-carpet floors, walls & vents or the carpet to be cleaned on BOTH sides. I always put down new pad, have my carpet cleaner clean both sides and re-install it. He also uses a cleanser approved for all carpets that will not void a carpet warranty. If there are any damages, it comes out of the deposit. Please note that I understand that pets can do a lot of damage and can be a renovation nightmare in time and money. I have a friend that a Great Dane & Rottweiler did $7000.00 worth of damage to a house by making their own door out of the utility room to the yard. They were unauthorized pets with an absent Landlord.
Ive done a little reading and I don't know if this applies to California my tenant moved in at the beginning of this month and now is asking to have a dog i read that if I have them give a "pet deposit", let's just say of $500, that I am only able to use up to $500 for any pet damage and that I can't take additional money from the standard deposit for pet damage? so, it's better to charge a "pet rent" and leave her initial deposit open to any damage--including pet damage?   ¿
Ive done a little reading and I don't know if this applies to California my tenant moved in at the beginning of this month and now is asking to have a dog i read that if I have them give a "pet deposit", let's just say of $500, that I am only able to use up to $500 for any pet damage and that I can't take additional money from the standard deposit for pet damage? so, it's better to charge a "pet rent" and leave her initial deposit open to any damage--including pet damage?   ¿
I'm fairly new to the landlord industry. After reviewing the comments I can see the variety of concerns and outcomes. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd impose upon the tenant a pet policy that strictly enforces responsible actions;  1. Quarterly inspections of the property which must require all carpeted surfaces to be professionally cleaned prior to. Proof of receipt must be provided.  2. Any wear and tear would be noted at that time (photo history of each inspection). Any conclusive evidence that the pet(s) are the source then enforce the repair(s) and the tenant becomes responsible to pay the invoice.   3. Pet must be licensed and meet required medical records with proof provided annually or semi-annually.  4. Additional monthly charge as a pet allowance beyond normal occupancy.  5. Any illicit discharges (poop) are required to be removed from property immediately as a pollutant to stormwater run-off.  6. Any violation of these actions shall have a penalty fee imposed similar to a late fee for rent. (suggested).  Now maybe some of you do this or I'm just a newbie. Either you allow a pet or you do with guidelines. These are just my examples if I were to do it.
Our tenant just moved out (with an approved dog) and we discovered about 5 bright yellow dog urine stains on the beige carpet.  Even after a professional carpet cleaning the bright stains remain.  Do other landlords keep the full amount required to re-carpet the unit (downstairs) or do you keep a fraction?  Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
In my lease agreement - I charge a non-refundable pet deposit per pet, and the max allowed is 2 pets per unit. The pet can not weigh more than 20 pounds.  And Landlord must approve of the pet.  Tenant must get permission if they want to get a pet during their rental time.  I write in lease the description of pet/pet name.  Also that landlord has the right to ask tenant to have pet removed if the pet causes disturbance to other tenants or neighbors. And last I state that any damage caused by pet where the pet deposit does not cover and security deposit does not cover tenant is financially responsible for damages /repair.  I charge a non-refundable pet deposit of $450.00 to also detract people who have pets.  I don't like having pets but when times are tuff in the rental market the apartment gets rented because I offer pets allowed.  After reading other messages, I plan to adding to lease, that pets must have proof of shots and neutered. Make sure you get everything in writing so if you have to bring your issues to court you have that protection because tenant agreed by signing the lease.  Hope this helps
Nancy S - security deposit is used to cover all damages and in some cases the damage cost exceeds the amount of the security deposit.  You must give the tenant a list of how the security deposit was spent and you have x amount of days to get the list to them. I think Rhode Island is 30days. I live in Rhode Island and we only give back what was not used in fixing the damages plus they also get the interest the deposit earned wile siting in bank account.
Has anyone run into a situation with a tenant that requires an emotional support animal? (ESA)  We don't allow animals in our duplex because of the shared walls and yard.  We have a tenant that now says they need this animal.  From what I can find, I am unable to require more rent or more of a deposit.  This dog wont stop barking and is bothering the other tenant!  What can I do?
If the dog won't stop barking treat it as a noise problem.
Login to post a comment