Start a new topic

Problems with friend of tenant.

My tenant has an old trailer parked outside the house.  Recently she allowed a friend of hers, down on his luck, to move into this trailer until he has a chance to get his affairs together.  She said that he would be staying only temporary.  That was two months ago.  The fellow is a "recovering alcoholic," and I've had some problems with him, though he apologized.  The problems are minor, but they continue in an almost passive-aggressive way.  In California, do I have a right to demand that a friend of a tenant leave ASAP?  The friend would like to see him move on as well, but she doesn't push him and there is no indication that he is trying to find a place of his own again.  

PERHAPS YOU CAN BE THE BAD GUY AND HELP YOUR TENANT, IF YOU SEND A LETTER TO THE TENANT INFORMING HER THAT THE UNAUTHORIZED TENANT SHE HAS LIVING ON THE PREMISIS IS NOT AUTHORIZED AND MUST MOVE. IF SHE THEN SHOWS THE FRIEND MAYBE HE WILL NOT WANT TO MAKE TROUBLE FOR HER AND SHE CAN UE THE LETTER AS AN EXCUSE TO ENFORCE ON HIM. VALERIE MASEULI
If there is a lease and this occupant is not listed on the lease, than you can send a letter to the Tenant regarding a violation of occupancy. If the tenant does not have this person vacate, you can start eviction. If your tenant does not want the person there, he may be able to call the authorities and have him removed.
Login to post a comment