Start a new topic

Change in Hawaii property management law for off island owners

According to this newly passed law  (march 2013)   http://www6.hawaii.gov/tax/announce/ann13-02.pdf  property managers in hawaii don't have to be licensed realtors.  This site on their specific to hawaii info on their property management form states that the property manager has to be a licensed realtor...BUT that does not appear to be the case...so save yourselves some money and just get a local contact person if you live off island.

interesting...
This change from March of 2013 regards transient lodging. In Hawaii: A current real estate broker's license is required for any person or company that, for compensation, rents, or offers, attempts or agrees to he rental of any real property or who advertises or holds out to the public by any oral or printed solicitation or representation that she or he is engaged in the business of leasing or renting business enterprises or business opportunities or the real property of another, or leases, or who directs or assisting in the procuring of prospects or in the negotiation or closing of any transaction which does, or is calculated to, result in a leasing of real property; and all persons who advertise rental property information or lists. A salesperson working under a broker may engage in such activities. This means that if you are hiring a company or individual who will receive compensation to perform management tasks on your behalf, they must be licensed.
I have researched this topic extensively over the last two weeks...I have read information now from the Past President  and current Vice Pres. of the National Association of Residential Property Managers in Hawaii  stating that you don't have to have a licensed realtor  as an agent/ caretaker of your property if you are an out of state or off island property owner. These folks are licensed Realtors, in a Natiional Association so know what they are talking about.   As well I have contacted the Department of Commerce and Consumer Protection regarding Chapt.521 Residential Landlord Tenant Code Sec. 43   (f)  regarding the definition of their word, "agent"  in regards to off island property owner and was told an 'agent' does not need to be a licensed realtor, but the person acting for the property owner who is not a realtor can only legally care for up to 4 properties for a single  property owner, and not care for more then one property owner's property.      So there you go..    I know licensed realtor property managers want everyone to think that they have to use a licensed real estate agent....(very good for business)   But you don't have to as long as you follow the law in Hawaii.
Login to post a comment