Start a new topic

Tenant wants landlord to pay for temporary change in parking

The parking garage at my rental unit is under construction for 5 weeks and, during that time, the residents of the building are beind offered free parking in a secure open air lot across the street from the building. My renter is saying that he contacted his lawyer and that he should be compensated for this "hardship" during the 5 weeks and he states this is "non negotiable". I'm confident there's nothing in my lease agreement with him that adresses this type of issue. I'm inclined to tell him that I'm not required to do anything because adequate parking is still made available to him during this time.  Thoughts? Advice?

How many renters you know have a lawyer on retainer? …..I’m assuming that the construction is either for safety/improvements. I’m also going to assume that tenant was given ample notice to which tenant could have given his objection…..Consider writing or emailing tenant the purpose for the construction and how tenant benefits.  Also state that tenant was given free secured parking during the construction period and you do not believe tenant should be compensated….. Keep in mind that if you give this tenant compensation, you’re opening the door for other tenants to request the same…. Keep us updated. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Unfortunately, it is impossible to give comprehensive real estate/tax advice over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. Therefore, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local Tax Laws. Also, if you have real questions, you should consult with an attorney or tax professional……Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data. Check out the new $$$$ for 2013
Since you did not mentioned any parking facility in your lease agreement, you are not responsible for this. But for future, make sure you screen the tenants before renting out your home. I have used property management services by Hunter Rentals & Property Management, they are good.
Login to post a comment