Start a new topic

Deaf tenant wants new smoke alarm w/strobe

I have a new tenant who is deaf. He has complained a regular smoke alarm won't work for him and wants me to buy an alarm with a strobe light. These cost a hundred dollars or more!  Does anyone know what the law is? Am I required to purchase one?

By law you have to accommodate the prospective tenant because of fair housing law they can pay for it as long as your willing to do the changes but if its a property you always have to get approval from corporate office and attorneys to see what are both parties rights but by law you have to accommodate because of fair housing if not you and the property will get sued.    
Tell him to contact your state Telecommunication servich. He can get phones, strobe lights and ringers ect. from the state FREE!!! He has to apply not you. My state is Florida and the telecommunications website is www.ftri.org and the phone number is 800-222-3448. They may be able to give you the info. on your state. It's a place to start and remeber the equiptmet is free.
Tell him to contact your state Telecommunication servich. He can get phones, strobe lights and ringers ect. from the state FREE!!! He has to apply not you. My state is Florida and the telecommunications website is www.ftri.org and the phone number is 800-222-3448. They may be able to give you the info. on your state. It's a place to start and remeber the equiptmet is free.
363.03, subd. 2a. Real property; disability discrimination.  (a) For purposes of subdivision 2, discrimination includes: a refusal to permit, at the expense of the disabled person, reasonable modifications of existing premises occupied or to be occupied by the disabled person if modifications may be necessary to afford the disabled person full enjoyment of the premises; a landlord may, where it is reasonable to do so, condition permission for a modification on the renter agreeing to restore the interior of the premises to the condition that existed before the modification, excluding reasonable wear and tear;  a refusal to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services, when accommodations may be necessary to afford a disabled person equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling; or  in connection with the design and construction of covered multifamily dwelling for first occupancy after March 13, 1991, a failure to design and construct those dwelling in a manner that: (i) the public use and common use portions are readily accessible to and usable by a disabled person; (ii) all the doors designed to allow passage into and within all premises are sufficiently wide to allow passage by disabled persons in wheelchairs; and (iii) all premises contain the following features of adaptive design: an accessible route into and through the dwelling; light switches, electrical outlets, thermostats, and other environmental controls in accessible locations; reinforcements in bathroom walls to allow later installation of grab bars; and usable kitchens and bathrooms so that an individual in a wheelchair can maneuver about the space. (b) As used in this subdivision, the term "covered multifamily dwelling" means: a building consisting of four or more units if the building has one or more elevators; and  ground floor units in other buildings consisting of four or more unit. (c) This subdivision does not invalidate or limit any law of the state of political subdivision of the state, or other jurisdiction in which this subdivision applies, that requires dwellings to be designed and constructed in a manner that affords disabled persons greater access than is required by this subdivision. (d) This subdivision does not require that a dwelling be made available to an individual whose tenancy would constitute a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals or whose tenancy would result in substantial physical damage to the property of others.
I can't answer the question of whether you are legally obligated to purchase this device or not.  I can suggest that you contact the States Vocational Rehabilative Services agency within your area for advice on the matter.  They may be able to incur the cost and installation of the device.  It's worth a try.  Please let me know the outcome.  
Login to post a comment