Start a new topic

No lease eviction.

Thank you for taking time to read this post.  I really mean that.  Three years ago I moved in with one person who is on a condo lease.  I lived there, paying rent for two years.  At the end of those two years the landlord said I am not actually a tenant.  Instead of giving me a 30 day notice he showed up with cops and said "sign this form saying you owe me $2,000 and I won't arrest you on the spot.  I signed the form so I would not get arrested and have my things thrown out on the street.  Mind you I did not owe the landlord any money for any reason.  He was just basically extorting me.  Is what he did legal?  Thanks again for any advice.

Check these out -  Virginia Office of Consumer Affairs: This state agency may be able to assist with consumer questions about obtaining a refund of a security deposit and complaints on rental problems. In most cases, however, the VRLTA and the rental agreement specify remedies available for such problems. Call toll-free 1-800-552-9963 or 804-786-2042. Also check for local consumer affairs agencies, such as those following: =========================================================== Alexandria Department of Housing Landlord-Tenant Relations 421 King Street, Suite 200 Alexandria, VA 22314 Telephone (703) 746-4990 Fax (703) 706-3904 TTY (703) 838-5056 ============================================================== Fairfax County Department of Cable Communications and Consumer Affairs* 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 433 Fairfax, VA 22035 Telephone (703) 222-8435
I line in Chicago,Illinois.My question is that I have no lease with my apartment.Can I be given a30 day notice without probable cause?
Login to post a comment