Start a new topic

we are in the state of nebraska with problems with renters88

I have a tenant living in our other home, that has lived there for about 10years. They now want to buy the property from us, we are unsure we want to sell the property at this time. On top of that, they have done damage to the home. We have not been on the inside of the home but, on the outside we had just put new gutters, 2 new doors, new windows,and a mailbox last year.On the mailbox they have carved the address on it, and on the new windows the screen is tore out,  and on the two exterior doors it looks as though someone could not get into the home and they took a hammer and banged on it, also  the landscaping is all ruined. As my husband is putting all new siding on the home, the wife that lives there said we will buy the house for 92,000 but what they want to do  is to pay rent to ownby paying us$ 800 a month.She also threatened  us that if we did not sell the home to her like this that she was going to buy a house anyways and told my husband that he knows that he has only seen the outsides of the house damage, and just imagine the inside so that it is in our best interest to sell this home to her, or she is just going to leave and we will have to remodel the home anyways. Is there anything I can legally do? I can not necessarily afford to pay a lawyer a ton to answer this question. If I know that there is then I can hire an attorney for that. please help, this is our first rental home... anyone that could help would be very appreciated.. Thank you

If these people have damaged the home, and are threatening you, then you do not need/want them around.  It sounds like you need to get rid of them ASAP.  Don't sell the home to them on a rent to own; you will just be tied to them longer.  Yes, there will be damage but you might as well take it now versus let them stay longer.  On the mailbox -- mailboxes are relatively cheap, about $30.  Screen is about $10 and that's a DIY project.  Not sure what the exterior doors would be.  In any case GET THEM OUT NOW.  Before you make additional improvements such as putting on new siding, because it sounds like they would just ruin it before they leave and you'd need to spend the money all over again.
If the money is a lot to recover all the damage on the inside is there any way to recover that amount? I read the property damage laws for nebraska, but it did not say anything about rentals, but it said if damage exceeds 1,500 it is considered a felony and it posses the person to take a loss it is punishable by 5 years in prison and a 10,000 fine. How would that work with this issue? they said all the sudden now that the plumming and electrical there having problems with and it worked fine. They also said to us they know there son dose this damage he is a manic depressant what ever that means and can not help it. we are so torn up about this we are a family that only rented this property because when we bought a bigger home for are family we had to do what came first selling or renting and it rented out first, we would not be able to afford double payments. I just want to be able to say something back about all this damage, it's not fair that people can just go into a home and damage it completely there has got to be some type of law that if it's not wear and tear right? oh anyone please help. I would also like to thank Dawn A, for responding thanks.. you are a very caring person.
You really need to talk with the local authority, lawyer and Attorney General. This appears to me as an extortion. Start making calls immediately to determine your options. I don’t believe a normal eviction is your answer.  -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Login to post a comment