Start a new topic

Additional Occupant fee for a Married Couple?

Hi there.  Here is my question:  We have been leasing a studio apartment in Los Angeles since October of last year.  We signed the lease agreeing to pay $100 per additional occupant per month.  There have only ever been the two of us living here. In May of this year, my husband and I were married.  What I want to know is, is it legal for the landlord to continue charging us the additional occupant fee since we are now a married couple?  We have only just informed him of this fact and requested that the fee be removed, obviously offering to show any necessary documentation.  He is usually pretty good about working with us on different issues like this.  I just want to make sure that I have all of the facts to take with me into this discussion.  Any thoughts?  Please let me know!  I really want to have all of the information that I can in my arsenal before really pursuing this.  Thank you!!!

It would seem to me that you are still an additional occupant, even though you are married if the lease was originally for one you are still 2.  You don't use less water/sewer/ or other utilities because of the wedding. But I am not familiar with CA law.  Congrats on the wedding though.
As Curtis stated, married or single, 2 people are still living in the unit. Thus, the cost of operation and wear-n-tear is the same. Keep in mind that landlord could have charged the same amount for just 1 person as for 2……having said that, here is something you may want to think about……. What happens to the rent should you decide to start a family? Would landlord increase rent due to an addition? -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download with data.
Login to post a comment