Start a new topic

Pet Deposit for an emotional support dog

In Texas can I require a Pet Deposit for an emotional support dog?

DOES THE PET HAVE TO BE A REGISTARED PET WITH A REGISTRY DUE TO ANY ONE CAN SAY THEY HAVE A PET FOR AN EMOTIONAL ISSUE. THERE SHOULD BE SOME TYPE OF PAPER SAYING IT IS A SERVICE ANIMAL>? EVERYONE WHO HAS A DOG WILL SAY TO GET OUT OF PAYING THE DEPOSIT " ITS EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG" THEN WHEN THEY LEAVE THERE ARE SO MANY DAMAGES FROM THAT SUPPORT DOG THAT THEIR DEPOSIT DOESN'T EVEN COVER THE DOORS THAT IT SCATCHES UP FROM BEING LOCKED IN THE ROOMS (BUT ITS A EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG"? OR THE CARPETS ITS RUINED BECAUSE NO ONE LETS THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE DUE TO LAZYNESS OR THEY LEAVE THEM IN THE HOUSE FOR THE WEEKEND BECAUSE THEY NEED TO GO OUT OF TOWN.  " BUT THEIR SUPPORT DOGS" IM SORRY I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS.  IF THEY ARE ANY TYPE OF DOG THAT NEEDS TO BE WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES BECAUSE A DOCTOR STATES THAT FACT.   THEN I DEFINATELY AGREE.
We are not permitted to charge extra, but Is not okay to charge for damages? And are we permitted to have a doc signed staying we are not responsible for their animal's behavior or welfare-as I normally would with a nonservice animal?   And are emotional support critters included?   And may I ask for "proof"?
No. A property owner cannot require a tenant to pay a pet deposit or any other additional deposit as a condition for allowing an assistance animal in a rental property. However, a tenant with an assistance animal will still be considered legally responsible for any damage caused by that animal.
Login to post a comment