Start a new topic

Tenant request to remove carpet at properties expense

I manage a large apartment complex in NY.  We have about a dozen families that are requesting we remove their carpet and replace with vinyl tile.  Some have doctors notes that say the family will benefit from this being done due to allergies.  Understanding that we would like to accommodate our families but have our budget to consider.  Are we required to do replace the carpet with vinyl flooring?  It is an expensive undertaking and a part of me feels it is a tenants choice, and could it possibly be them asking us for permission to remove the carpet and replace with vinyl at their expense.  Since they have the doctors note are we then looked at as not complying with a request to better the families lives concerning their health?  Thank you for any response I receive... am at a loss as to what our obligation is.  Donna

FYI: even if units in a complex were the same, the construction in each unit more than likely are not. They can be off by several inches or more. That's just the nature of construction. No reputable company would just measure 1 unit and assume that the other unit or units are exactly the same. This would be very costly to them if measurement was incorrect.-----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance..... BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
If this is a complex, wouldn't all the units be the same?  If not, then yes, I agree that would be a lot of extra work.
Thank you all for your guidance, was great help to me!  Donna
Unlike Dawn, my time has value and I see no reason to waste it by contacting a business, making appointments for measurements, selecting the product (different stroke for different folks), etc. Imagine doing this for a dozen units. Sorry, I have better things to do. If a tenant wants a change, let them do the foot work, send me the info, and I approve/disapprove. Just by stating it would be at their cost, many wouldn’t even make a phone call for an estimate. I really don’t see the advantage of a landlord doing all the work for a tenant's “BENEFIT.”
I would actually take a different approach than Bob suggested -- get the quote yourself and then propose it to the tenant saying that they can pay $X to have it replaced -- e.g. $1000 or whatever it costs.  I am willing to bet most if not all tenants will not go forward with it. That's why they are renting not buying.
A "benefit" is not the same thing as a "requirement".  It is "beneficial" to take vitamins and a doctor may recommend those too, but if the person doesn't take them they won't die -- as opposed to taking something like insulin which is required to keep someone alive.  The tile versus carpet is the same thing -- it's a benefit but not a requirement.
No, you are not required to honor their request unless the current flooring is a danger. Even then, a simple repair may fix the problem….. I would just tell them that they can make the change at their expense. However, the change (material used and color, etc. must be approved by you. Also, the work must be performed by a licensed company approved by you. If agreed to, create a letter stating the terms and have both parties sign/date. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
Login to post a comment