Start a new topic

Reduce liability for tenants having 2 pitbulls as pets

Hi, I rented out my unit to tenant who has a fiance, the fiancee's 2 children and 2 puppy pit-bulls. However, I didn't know the state of Maryland had strict laws against pit-bulls. I would like the pit-bulls to removed from the premises but the tenants refuse to give them away. Unfortunately, the lease didn't have any type of pet clauses. By the way, only the fiance name is on the lease but his fiancee's wants her name on the lease. Can I use this opportunity to create a new lease that includes a strict pet clause about pit-bulls? And should I shorten the length of the lease? Thanks in advance.

Since this is Your error, I believe, based on your statement you need to send them a registered/return receipt letter stating the Law and state that the dogs must be removed in (??? Days) or  They will have to moved. Check your local/state laws for time to move. You may want to offer them some compensation for moving since it was your error….. It would be best if you spoke with them in person explaining the error and try to work something out. Have something in writing for them to sign/date if you can reach an agreement to the problem……As to your 2nd question, do your application/credit check 1st. No, you cannot change contract terms unless he agrees to the new terms. Create an Addendum if she will be added to the agreement. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check
What are the laws against pit bulls?
Login to post a comment