Start a new topic

Texas eviction

I wish to evict my daughter's boyfriend from my house.  He pays no rent and has no lease with me.  Am I required to serve an eviction notice, and give him a deadline for moving?  I live in Texas.  He wants a 30 day notice.    Thank you.......

Caution…I would not place his items on the lawn or get rid of them. Also, Diane’s suggestion on the 30-60 days Notice probably doesn’t apply to TX It’s a CA law and possibly some other States…….. Here’s a couple of web site for you to read. ......... ………… My suggestion is to seek an Attorney’s advice. One wrong move and its back to square 1. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Free Trial Download with data.
Hi Judy,  To protect yourself ... do everything legally. Have him served (by a Marshall/Sheriff or a non-interested party (no family members) with a notice to move. If he has lived with you 12 months or longer, you must give him a 60 day notice. Less than 12 months, you are legally obligated to give him only a 30 day notice. Don't put his personal belongings on the lawn. It may not be easy, but try to set your personal feelings aside and do things by the book. Otherwise, you risk being sued in small claims court by him. You can also prepare a professional notice and send it certified mail with a signature required and send to him. That can work as a proof of service too. Keep this in mind...especially if he is currently dating your do not want to cause trauma to the relationship you and your daughter have. Just something to think about. I wish you good luck!
Your mother could also probably assign a power of attorney and you or another more trustworthy sibling could go to court on her behalf, if it came to that.
If they do not have a legal lease you can evict them within 3 days. Notify to Quit. Your bother cannot lease a property that is not his. I would suggest sending it certified or having it served to them that way there is no question if they were in receipt or deliver it in person and make them sign it. OR better yet make your brother man up and do it since it's his friend.
If he hasn't changed his mailing address to the house and hasn't been crashing there long, I would just put his stuff on the lawn. Otherwise you'll have to serve him with an eviction notice, wait the waiting period, file in court, go to rent court, schedule the sheriff... not a lot of fun.
Login to post a comment