Start a new topic

Tenant from Hell

Recently went through eviction process and am in the process of dealing with the aftermath. The tenant had a "small. teacup Pomeranian" when they moved in. Subsequently acquired 5 more dogs that all lived, urinated and everything else in the master bedroom. Had to wear a mask to enter the room! They took my brand new Dining Room furniture with them and stopped watering the outdoor landscaping a month ago. I live in Palm Springs so that was a major problem. Did not pay the past month rent and so there went my security deposit. So far I am out of pocket nearly $10,000. Thinking about small claims court - does anyone have experience in this?
1 Comment

Yep, sure do. I had my Tenant from Hell many moons ago to the tune of $18,000+. Guess she stopped liking me when I went thru the eviction process. The day before the Sheriff was to evict her, the place had bleached rugs, smashed toilets, rip lino, cabinet doors torn off to mention a few. Call the police to report vandalism and contacted my insurance co. Inspector came out w/his contractor to estimate damages. Inspector suggested that I might give the contractor the job since he was so kind to come out and give an estimate. (Sorry, I’ll hire people that I know  :-)  ). Long story short, I had my contractor give me a bid which allowed me to get a lot more done that had I used the agent’s contractor. The property took 2 months to get back in shape. Fortunately, my insurance policy also included rent income coverage since it was inhabitable. No small claims on the above problem, thank goodness. ------As for your situation, I would report the theft and get a copy of the police report. It sounds like you may have completed fixing the property for rent. Care to shed more light as to where you’re at in rehab? What specifically did you want to know? -------- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with this EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment