Start a new topic

pit bull

I have just discovered that a tenant has a pit bull.  On her rental application she indicates a lab mix.  What is the quickest and most painless way to get her out?  My concern is that my homeoeners insurance will cancel my policy if they were to find out.  Additionally what brought this on is they are  responsible for lawn maintenance and they haven't mowed for 2 months.  When I went over to mow, I took my dog with me, and they let their dog out and it just about killed my yellow lab.  thanks.  

If they are on a month-to-month, send them a 30 Day Notice to move. If you need cause, specify dog type. If not, say nothing. If they are on a lease, send them a Notice to fix violation (get rid of dog) or move. If they get rid of dog, they don’t have to move. If they keep dog and don’t move, start eviction. Consider having someone who does this on a regular basis. Contact a Real Estate Attorney to serve papers. These don’t appear to be nice people. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Thanks Bob R.  I did send a notice to vacate today with a deadline of July 15th.  I sent the notice certified mail.  Their dog did attack my dog while I was at the property mowing grass and just about killed him.  I want the dog out before 30 days.  I am trying to figure out how to get it removed now.  I am calling the prosecutor's office in the morning to see if there are any laws on the books in Ohio regarding dangerous dogs.  Yes you were helpful.  Dana
Do you have any regulations on pet size that you allow in your rental? A pit bull is as good as its owner. Not all Pit bulls are bad dogs. I would charge a pet fee, just in case there are some damages or wear and tear.
You might want to check your landlord insurance policy, most of ours have a list of prohibited breeds, and a pit bull is definitely on that list.
Login to post a comment