Start a new topic

NO LEASE - SQUATTERS!

I recently purchased a building where i will be opening a business in the bottom portion and living in the apartment above.  When I purchased the building, the previous owner had tenants renting the apartment and explained to them in writing that upon sale of building, the lease would no longer be in effect and their living arrangement, in regards to the building, would be entirely up to the new owner.  When the sale finalized, I told the renters they could stay there a couple extra months until I was ready to move in, but on May 31st, they would have to leave.  They were supposed to be out on the first of the month, but they are still there, not paying ANY rent and telling me they have nowhere to go.  This has cost me another months rent at the place I have been unable to move from on account of them not moving out of MY new home!  What can I do about this?
1 Comment

I believe that when you purchase a property that has renters, you must honor the lease that they signed. You also should have received any and all deposits from the seller. You’re only choice is to serve them a Notice to Pay or Quit. If they don’t pay, start eviction process. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment