Start a new topic

early termination of lease in Colorado

Is this considered a breach of contract? The tenants are moving out before signed lease expires giving us a 30 day notice - legally do we have to return the security deposit?
1 Comment

Sec.Dpst is used to correct damages and unpaid rent. You are required to return any dpst that is not used. The good news is that tenants gave you a Notice. Many tenants don’t. This gives you time to find another renter. Usually tenants will be responsible for rent until new tenants occupy the rental. Good Lease will have a clause covering your situation. Consider having a friendly talk with tenants. Remind them that they broke the lease and what they will be responsible for. Ask for their co-operation (keeping the place tidy, etc) and allow showing the place with short notice. Doing so may allow you to rent the place quickly and keep their expense low. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment