Start a new topic

way behind on rent....

I have a tenant in place in North Carolina who has not been current on rent since April 2012.  He was sent a letter of compliance on May 8, and since then has come across with 300 or 400 dollars at a time.  As of August 31, he is 1080 behind.  He states over and over again that he will get current and yet it has not happened for months.  My husband told him he has until September 30,to catch up completely,including September's rent or be out by September 30th.  What can I do to get what he owes?

Time to send a Notice to Pay or Quit.  And, if FULL amount due is not receive, start an eviction. DO NOT accept excuses. Also, ONLY accept cash, money order or bank check. You need to stop playing nice guys. You’re loosing $$$ everyday. If he doesn’t pay, you’ll probably have to take him to court. Having said that, just because you win, it doesn’t mean you’ll get your $$$$ automatically. You may have to chase him down to collect. …..Given the distance from your property investment, you may want to consider hiring a company to find you the next renter, only. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
I went throught this in the past.  Its very hard for tenants to catch up when behind. Proceed to the court house to start eviction.  The longer you wait the more money you will lose.
I agree with both. Cut your loses get what you can and move on.
I will chime in and add a +1 to the statement:  IF YOU LET SOMEONE GET A LITTLE BEHIND, SOON THEY WILL BE A LOT BEHIND UNTIL ALL YOU SEE IS THEIR BEHIND (i.e. they are out the door and you are watching them leave).
Better seeing them leave vs wondering.....LOL
Login to post a comment