Start a new topic

Can't tell if tenant has abandoned property

The rental is located in Michigan.   I am in an awkward situation. Our rental property is located 150 miles away from where I live. We had to relocated for a job and instead of selling our home we chose to rent it out. I have only been doing this for three years. The first tenant did 3k in damages. My second tenant, has been fairly good so far, she has been there for nearly two years. Her Mother pays the rent two months in advance and there has been some damage to the rental but not enough to start eviction. However things have recently changed.  Her lease expires the end of August. I sent her a lease renewal notice in the middle of July and since then have not heard from her and she has not paid for the month of August which is completely out of character for her. After leaving numerous phone messages we attempted to contact her parents who also did not answer the phone or return our calls.    Because I live so far from the rental I can't just leave to go see if she has vacated the premises. I have sent a 7 day notice to quit on the 2nd of August. Her rent was due the 1st.  I have had my Mother (who lives in the area) drive by daily and she has noticed that the tenants car has not been there as late as 8pm(she hasn't driven by any later).The tenants curtains are still in the windows and as far as I can tell the utilities are still in the tenants name. This isn't a clear indicator because my first tenants never shut off the utilities when they abandoned it; at least they emailed me to let me know when they left. This is extremely stressful. We depend on having an income for the property to cover the mortgage on it.   At this point the security deposit will be used for back rent but I also know there are damages, I just don't know how bad they are until I can get in there.   I know the tenant has an ad on craigslist looking for another property to rent(dated July 12). At this point I don't know what to do. The tenant will not contact me back and I have no idea if she has vacated the property or not. I have sent her parents a letter  asking that someone please contact me.    What suggestions do you have ?  I would sincerely appreciate any input at this point.
1 Comment

You have done all you can for now by sending the Pay or Quit Notice. I’m going to assume that your Contract states that after the Lease expires, it changes to a Month-To-Month. If this is the case and you want her out, consider sending her a Notice to Move. This way if she corrects the violation, she still has to move.  ---- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment