Start a new topic

month to month, pay only partial month on move out Qustion??

My tenant is month to month 1st to 1st of each month. She sent 30 day notice on 27 July by text giving her 30 day notice. She paid rent but only for 26 days(1 Aug to 26 Aug). I think she should pay her full rent for the month of August, correct??? Thanks fo any help with this.

If she was giving notice, of 30 days. Then she should not have to pay the entire month.
I disagree with Karen….Technically, she has not given you Notice to move… I would demand a written letter stating her intent. You need written proof. Without that letter, it becomes a he-said-she-said. Should she change her mind and decides to stay and you have no recourse. …..WA law requires that month-to-month tenants give landlords at least 20 days written notice before vacating their units. If you are unsure about what kind of rental agreement you have, see more details in Rental Agreements. The landlord must receive written notice of your move-out date 20 days before the end of the rental period. For example, if your rent is due on the first of the month, and you plan to vacate by 30th, then the landlord must receive your written notice by the 10th of the month. Be sure to get proof that you sent your notice to vacate by sending it certified mail and regular first class mail and keeping a copy for your records. If you do not give your landlord proper 20 days written notice, or if you stay longer than the date you gave notice for, your landlord can charge you for the following month’s rent. ---- Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment