Start a new topic

Carpet replacement charges?

Hi - I'm not a landlord - but a homeowner that has relocated and been renting for over two years.  We have moved out and due to carpet damages (rust spots from the feet of an antique cabinet) which is in the main living area. I'm very clean, was NOT charged the clean out charge from the apartment complex.  However, when I cleaned the rust spot, the management of the apartment complex says "the carpet fibers were damaged and the main living area carpet has to be replaced" I understand, and will pay the depreciated value of the carpet which they estimate is 1.99 years left on the carpet. I received a statement for the carpet and the carpet replacement for the 450 sq yards of carpet is 1600.00 and my part is 637.00 which is approximately 32.00 per square yard. This carpeting is apartment quality and NOT wool nor silk. I've been a homeowner and still am and due to family issues have been renting to be closer to my mother. My question to landlords is : Does the management company need to provide to me a copy of the actual carpet replacement costs? Do I have to respond within a certain number of days to prevent me from being taken to small claims court?  I will pay - that's not the issue - the issue is the amount that they say they paid for the carpet and I would like to receive a copy of the carpeting before I pay the depreciated value of the carpet.  I know that large corporations receive a discounted price from blinds to kitchen sinks - but does that include carpeting too? This corporation owns properties coast to coast.  Thanks in advance for your help -   K
1 Comment

The proration appears to be correct. That being said, is the $1600.00 an estimate for the carpet or does it include the pad? You should not have to pay for the cost of the pad. Consider calling a carpet place for an estimate and pretend to be replacing or having the rug fixed due to the damage. Ask for a like kind rug and ask them for their opinion on replacing the pad. Get estimate with/without pad. Keep us posted. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance
Login to post a comment