Start a new topic

In Colorado

So I had some tenants move out and now I have a bunch of questions. 1) Before they moved in we had sod laid and had it in for 3 months before they moved in. I paid the water bill and the grass is completely dead now. It was in the lease agreement they had to take care of it. Can I charge them for it?  2) We have wood paneling through out the whole house. There is marker all over a bunch of the walls that I can not completely get out. On one wall in each of the bedroom was a mural wallpaper and in each bedroom they tore it partially off so now I have to tear the rest of it off and paint it. Can I charge them for this?  3) The carpet in the house was by far not new when they moved in. There is play dough dried on the carpet and Cat urine stains and smell in almost every room. I did not althorize any cat to be on the premisis nor did I get a deposit for a cat. Can I charge them for this?  4) They didn't take care of the yard. Upon move out they hacked my trees up and mowed over my roses. Can I charge them for this?  5) In almost every room they bent all the curtain rods and some curtain rods are missing. Can I charge for this?  6) The neighbor behind must have replaced the fence but I was never notified. They piled the fencing in the back yard and left it. Plus a bunch of trash scattered along the yard and on the sidewalk out front. Can I charge for disposal?  7) They stained the concrete with some kind of oil. Can I charge for this?  Please any help is greatly appreciated. I am having a very hard time finding answers online. Thank you Christa
1 Comment

Can I charge for this? The answer to item #s 4, 5, 7 is yes. The tenant is to return property in the same condition it was received. Hopefully, you had a check-in report……#1 is a hard one. Some grasses return when watered for 2-3 weeks. If not, replacement probably would be justified. Keep track of the amount of water used……#2 Check with someone at Home Depot for stain removal. Or, call a professional for an removal estimate.  It may be more expensive to have it removed vs buying new. You will also have to adjust for age…..#3 You will have to prorate the cost of rugs…..Take a lot of pictures showing damage. Review your contract to address contract violations/penalties. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance.
Login to post a comment