Start a new topic

renting a room in my home

I advertised a room for rent in my home for $450 per month. I met with a 19 year old girl who had never lived on her own before. I told here i have a contract but we never signed it. I told her I would rent her a room on monthly basis for $450 and I would allow her to make payments to me for the first month to month in a half to pay the first, last and security, without the added penalties. After that we would renegotiate any late fees. She moved her stuff into the bedroom on sept. 21, 2012. She stayed a few nights the first week. I haven't seen her since. The date is now oct. 24, 2012 and she still has her clothes in the room. she has only paid me $260 total. I finally had to have the locksmith open the door to check if she had taken her stuff or if she was still living in my home! We have contacted her at work and asked her to call us. She has never returned my calls, changed her number and has not returned. All in all, she stayed less than a week, paid only $260 and won't get her stuff out or return my call. Since nothing is in writing and her clothes are still in my home, what can I do? Please help.  too trusting in riverside, ca.

This should help you.... http://www.ehow.com/how_6548752_evict-tenants-contract-california-laws.html .... If she’s not willing to move, you’ll have to do an eviction….. NEVER NEVER allow anyone to move in as a tenant or guest without a lease stating the length of stay and definitely without giving you $$$$ (cash only) that was agreed upon prior to moving in and that includes personal items. You don’t need a special form. You can just type up the terms and have both parties sign/date it. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
so what are my obligations and what are my rights now? if you hAVE ANY ADVISE, CLUE ME IN. THANKS SO MUCH. deborahfie@charter.net
You can also do a Google search for more information. You’ll 1st need to post the Quit or Pay Notice followed by starting an eviction when tenant doesn’t pay…… Here are 2 sites that should get you started……  http://www.rocketlawyer.com/document/california-eviction-notice.rl?id=1354&utm_source=103&try=1&v=3&gclid=CNnm4baWm7MCFW-CQgodjXsAxg  …….   http://www.expressevictions.com/ ….-----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com.
Login to post a comment