Start a new topic

Tennessee- Tenant Has power disconnected due to non payment.

This started a few weeks ago.   Our Tenant Reported to us that a room in the basement had leaked during a rain storm and had caused mold on the baseboards. My wife and I went over there cleaned it up with vinegar, and repainted the baseboards. We later found out that the reason the basement leaked was due to her non cleaning the gutters , causing them to spill over and get in the basement.   Since the cleanup her rent has come due and she told us she refused to pay rent because she was not satisfied with the cleanup. Also today we found out that her power has been disconnected due to non payment. She has also made a mess of the place, trash outside , etc.   My question. Can we evict her just by sending a typed letter by certified mail or do we have to go to the courts to start the process.  Also with the rent due and the power off when can we change the locks and get power back on in our name so we don't have to worry about pipes freezing.  Thanks for the advice.
1 Comment

If there is a material noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or a noncompliance with materially affecting health and safety, you may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach, and that the rental agreement will terminate upon a date not less than thirty (30) days after receipt of the notice. If the breach is not remedied in fourteen (14) days, the rental agreement shall terminate as provided in the notice, subject to the following. If the breach is remediable by repairs or the payment of damages or otherwise and the tenant adequately remedies the breach prior to the date specified in the notice, the rental agreement will not terminate.
Login to post a comment