Start a new topic

new lease signed with another landlord tenants can't move out

I found a buyer for my house in New York but under condition that my tenants who reside in the basement move out before  the sale. I notified my tenants that I wanted to sell the house and I helped them to find a new apartment. They signed a new lease with a new landlord but now they can't move in to his property because current tenants are still there even though they were supposed to move out a month ago. The new lease states that the landlord is nat liable for delays in starting the occupancy. What to do? Can I move them to a hotel or short term lease apartment?

hmmm thats a lot of conditions... and i can imagine very frustrating. the law with selling a house and renting a house differ. you may want to double check with an attorney to verify your legal responsibilities. traditionally, its not the landlords job to locate a new home for current tenants.
I don’t think a lawyer will be able to help in this case…You are approaching the situation in a positive way. Your experience is normal when selling a rental…..Good contracts will have an out for the landlord if landlord can’t deliver as agreed upon. It is not his fault that tenants haven’t moved…..Here’s my suggestion – (1) talk with the new landlord, if possible, and find out what’s the situation and see what it would take to have his tenants move or when they plan on moving. To close your sale, it may require you to help the new landlord’s tenants and possibly yours. Keep in mind that the new landlord is not obligated to help you. (2) You could have a talk with your tenants and find out what their situation is and how you could help them with the move. Let them make the 1st offer…..Let me know how things are going and what the responses were, if you can. Thanks…. The good news is that the cost can be added to the cost of selling the property. Just make sure you get agreements in writing, signed & dated. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price @ $50.00! Check it out.
Login to post a comment