Start a new topic

Renters left home and owe $2600.00, How do I take them to court.

My renters stopped paying rent last month, finally paid $1000 out of 1800 for april and didn't pay may rent.  They still owe me $2600.00 for part of April and all of May's rent.  I told them I would let them out of the lease if they caught up on their rent and moved out leaving the home like it was when they moved in.  Their lease ends on Aug 31, 2013.  They have left but didn't give me any more money.  They also completely trashed the home, inside and out.  I took video's when they signed the lease and I will take videos of how they left it so I will have good evidence of how they left the home.  I do have a $2600.00 cleaning deposit witch I will use fixing the place, plus use more.     My question is how do I take them to court in California to collect back rent and damages?  I live in Lake County, no rent control.  Thanks

Do a Google search “small claims court lake county california”.  Your claim can be $10,000 max rent/damages. Here you will find all the info you need. . -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price @ $50.00! Check it out.
Small claims court is your only option.  Chances are they won't even show up and you will receive a summary judgment and win your claim.  That part is easy.  The hard part is collecting.
Login to post a comment