Start a new topic

squatter cutting down my tress and moving other squatters onto my property

I hope someone can help me! I have 8 acres in Oregon and I allowed a property 'care taker' to move onto the property rent free 3 or 4 months ago to watch the place and keep it safe. He has since cut some of my trees down and also moved in his friend and family in their rv's. I have told him to leave and he refused. I called police and they told me that i cannot just kick him out that I have to serve him an eviction notice. Police also said that even tho he has never paid rent, he has residence rights because I allowed him there in the first place and as a resident he can move in whomever he wishes. Also was told nothing I can do about my trees other than take him to court. I feel like a whipped pup!! I am living clear across the state from the property tending to my bedridden husband and i cannot pack up and go back there to serve him eviction notice. Can someone please tell me....can i move my own family members onto the property or would they be trespassing on the 'caretakers' rights? Can i have someone else serve him an eviction notice beings it is not reasonable for me to travel that far and leave my husband unattended for that long? Also, can he be served a 24 hour eviction notice for destruction of my property or do I have to give him 72 hours or 30 days?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not a landlord with rentals so I do not know any of the laws pertaining to landlord/tenant problems and I cannot afford an attorney. Thank you so much for any help/advice you can offer me. Terri
1 Comment

Terri, it sounds like you have a verbal agreement with the care taker. This makes any agreement hard to enforce. Your best option is to contact an attorney to advise you and serve the required Notice for your State. One simple mistake on the Notice and you’re back to square one. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with Fed/State/Local and Tax Laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at Simp-List.com. Free Trial Download. A great program at a great price! Check it out.
Login to post a comment