Start a new topic

eviction process

I have two tenants living in my home. One has been excellent in paying his half every month. The other is now suddenly 30 days late, and says he doesn't have any more money. He's lying because he's on welfare. I want to sell the house anyway. So my problem: late payment of rent, and wanting to sell house. It is wintertime here and I have to keep the house heated until spring when I put it on the market, so that the pipes don't freeze, and obviously, carry their rent to pay the mortgage. Late tenant also has a four year old daughter.  If I had to let the other paying tenant stay and pay his half until spring, I would. However, then poses the problem that late tenant is a lying scumbag; I'm afraid of what he'll do to the house upon leaving, i.e. holes in walls, etc. What would be the best way to approach this? Paid tenant is my uncle. Late tenant is his nephew, who I really don't even associate with much, except for the fact that my daughter plays with his daughter every day. I'm scared, confused, want to do the right thing. This is my first (and last) time being a landlord. ANY advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Login to post a comment