Start a new topic

Slipped on property and unable to work and got evicted because of it.

I had slipped and tore my acl and my meniscus and is unable to work because of the injury.  I was unable to pay my rent and because of this I got erected.  What is my rights as a tenant so I can stay in my home.

I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, If you do not pay rent, you can be evicted. :(
I am sorry to hear that you're injured.  It's hard to discern from your question, but I assume you slipped on your rental property and are implying somehow it's your landlord's responsibility.  To my knowledge, your landlord is not responsible unless he knew of a necessary repair and failed to have the repair completed in a timely manner.  In other words, negligence on the part of the landlord.  Do you have disability (long-term and short-term) insurance?  Do you have medical insurance?  Do you have renter's insurance?  If you don't, why not?  The three of them combined will not only take care of your injury, but the disability insurance should provide some money that could be applied to your rent. Not being able to afford it is no excuse as it appears you cannot afford to not have it.  Also, assuming the landlord was negligent, why didn't you have the repair done and then deduct the expense from next month's rent?  Unless you can prove your landlord was negligent, then you can be evicted for not paying rent.  Landlords have rights, too.
Login to post a comment