Start a new topic

Security deposit  expenses

I am sending a letter to the tenant who moved out a list of expenses I will be taking out of his security deposit. What kind of documentation can I send when I personally did the cleaning of the house? Tenant did not leave a forwarding address so is sending an email legally okay? Is it correct that this should be done within 21 days of the tenant moving out?

Send a letter and call it “Security Deposit Disbursement”. You need to list all items of repair/supplies and include receipts/invoices. The law states – “If the landlord or landlord’s employee did the work, the itemized statement shall reasonably describe the work performed. The itemized statement shall include the time spent and the reasonable hourly rate charged” .…... Email would work, but it appears that they don’t want you to know where they moved to. The down side to email, unless they acknowledge receipt, it becomes a he-said-she-said. Mail it to the tenant’s last know address. In this case, your rental. I would mail it Certified Mail, return receipt not require. This just proves you did the mailing within the required time. Yes, in CA, it’s 21 days. -----Disclaimer: Since I’ve been answering a lot of questions, I thought I would make the following statement. I’m not affiliated with EZlandlord Forms. I’m just here (not sure how long) to help those that have questions. Having 40+ yrs with Rental Property and done well, it’s my way of “Pay it Forward (check out the movie).” However, it is up to you to become familiar with your State/Local laws. I always like to know if the suggestions I offer are helpful. Feel free to comment anytime. Thanks in Advance. BTW...check out the Rental Property Organizer at
Thank you that was very helpful
Login to post a comment