Start a new topic

Tenant threating me with a Hippa Rights violation

I recently tried to help this individual I decided not to rent to after he gave me a guilt trip and bomabared me with tons of texts insulting me with my English and comprehension. Anyway long story short I finally texted him that he was an insulting and arrogant person and what does that say about your heart. Now he is threating me even more and demanding that I  Western Union him $10,000 by Wednesday August 29, 2018 or he will take me to court for even more.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing or encountered such a person?? Any suggestions appreciated.  mj
1 Comment

Hi Mary,  DO NOT SEND THIS IDIOT ANY MONEY!!  HIPAA is The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). As far as I know it has to do with protecting health information about an individual.   "Protected Health Information The Privacy Rule protects individually identifiable health information, called PHI, held  or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form, whether  electronic, paper, or verbal. PHI includes information that relates to all of the following: ¿ The individual’s past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition ¿ The provision of health care to the individual ¿ The past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to the individual PHI includes many common identifiers, such as name, address, birth date, and Social  Security number." Visit the HHS  HIPAA Privacy Rule  webpage for more information. (This was from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services)  As long as you are not sharing his personal info, as listed above, you do not have a HIPAA violation, he's just threating to try and get money out of you. Tell him he can talk to your lawyer...that's usually all you need to say.  Mary L., NH
Login to post a comment