Start a new topic

Rental increase for additional son

Hi All, I have a rental that originally had mom/dad and handicap son in the home.....now with things the way they are, another son has moved it and wants to stay the entire lease time with mom and dad.  While I have no issues putting him on a new lease with the family, what should I do about the rent?  They slipped and mentioned he was paying them rent money and had a job currently...do I increase the rent a small amount or just add him to it in case of issues down the road.  Will be great to hear what folks have to say. Thz  Rick

Whether you increase rent is a personal decision,  (it's possible he moved in to help them out, not that they are flush with cash)  but you ABSOLUTELY need him on the lease for legal reasons.
Include him in the Lease for legal reason and charge him for using of space and utilities like water.
Amend lease to include him.  If you do not already have a provision in your lease for additional occupant fees and if you pay for water/utilities etc, then increase the rent.  If not, then don't increase the rent and add a provision in future leases.
money
money
Login to post a comment